James Taylor (1615-1698) was the father of Mary Bishop Taylor (1688-1770), who was the mother of Phillip Pendleton (1704-1778), who was the father of Micajah Pendleton (1758-1844), who was the father of Rev. Joseph Pendleton (1780-1840), who was the father of James Vance Pendleton (1816-1870), who was the father of Ann Elizabeth Pendleton (1843-1928), who was the mother of Albert Gaines Gibson (1871-1922), who was the father of Idabel Amanda Gibson (1892-1983), who was the mother of Jeanette Anne Williams (1921-1968), who was Curt Bright’s paternal grandmother.
The following is an excerpt from “COLONIAL FAMILES of the Southern States of America, A HISTORY AND GENEALOGY OF COLONIAL FAMILIES WHO SETTLED IN THE COLONIES PRIOR TO THE REVOLUTION, by Stella Pickett Hardy, SECOND EDITION, BALTIMORE SOUTHERN BOOK CO., 1958, Page 506
The first English name is said to have been Baron Taillefer, who came over with William the Conqueror, and led the charge at Hastings, going into the battle singing the old war songs. For his great services he was given large landed possessions in Kent County, which descended to his posterity during the reigns of Henry III, Richard II, and Henry IV and V. His descendants became the Earls of Pennington, who bore the same arms as those brought to Virginia by James Taylor, and now in the possession of the family.
JAMES TAYLOR, of Caroline County, Virginia, born 1615, near Carlisle, England; died 1698, in Virginia; came to the Colony in 1635 and settled in Caroline County. Carlisle, from whence he came, was but 20 miles from Pennington, the old ancestral home, and where his forefathers were buried. Several of the English Taylor’s married with the Chichester and Culpepper families of England, who also came to Virginia about the same time. He married (first) Frances ____; (second) Mary Gregory. Issue by first marriage:
- James, born 1668; died in infancy.
- JAMES, born 1670; of whom later.
- Jane, born 1674; untraced.
- Sarah, born 1676; untraced.
Issue by second marriage:
5. Ann (twin), born 1684; untraced.
6. Elizabeth (twin), born 1684; untraced.
7. Mary, born 1686; died in infancy.
8. Mary B., born 1688, died 1770; married (first) 1701 Henry Pendleton, born 1683; died 1721; son of Philip and Isabella (Hart) Pendleton; (second) Edward Watkins, and had issue:
9. Edmund, born 1690; untraced.
10. John, born 1692; died in infancy.
11. JOHN, born 1696; of whom later.
Click here to see the original page, Taylor_Family, from the book, “Colonial Families of the Southern States of America.”