Albert G. Pendleton (1848-1891) was the son of James Vance Pendleton (1816-1870) who was the father of Ann Elizabeth Pendleton (1843-1928) who was the mother of Albert Gaines Gibson (1871-1922) who was the father of Idabel Amanda Gibson (1892-1983) who was the mother of Jeanette Anne Williams (1921-1968) who was the grandmother of Curt Bright.
Although I am not a direct descendent of Albert G. Pendleton, I think it’s worth including his branch of the family tree in this blog. Perhaps it will lead me to new cousins some day. I do not know who wrote the records below. – Curt Bright
Dr. Albert Gaines Pendleton joined the Confederate Army at age 15, and served until the end of the Civil War. He suffered substantial hearing loss during the war. In 1868, he was a Captain of the Ku Klux Klan.
Dr. Pendleton received his medical education in Louisville, Kentucky, London, and Vienna (possibly Scotland as well). He was a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Surgeons of London.
The following is taken from my grandmother’s genealogical records that were written in 1976. She was a member of the D.A.R., Colonial Dames and the San Antonio Genealogical Society and Library. The information was obtained from the Hays Co., TX Courthouse, San Marcos Cemetery, Dorothy Washmon’s file, her personal knowledge and Pendleton Will and Probate records found at the Hays Co., TX Courthouse. N.B. Dr. A.G. Pendleton’s middle name is recorded as Gaines and Gallatin by my grandmother. I am not sure, at this time, which one is correct. Maybe Dorothy Washmon knows for sure.
DR. ALBERT G. PENDLETON b. Feb. 2, 1848 Giles Co., VA; m. Jan. 29, 1873 Jackson, Madison Co., TN; d. July 22, 1891 San Marcos, Hays Co., TX (buried in the Clark/Pendleton family plot in San Marcos Cemetery)
His Father: James Vance Pendleton (son of Joseph Pendleton and Elizabeth Riley)
His Mother: Anna Maria Murphy (dau. of Pleasants Murphy and Ann Robertson Shelton)
N.B. He received his medical education in Louisville, KY, London and Vienna.
+ KATE D. MILLER b. Feb. 4, 1854 Jackson, Madison Co., TN; d. Oct. 18, 1901
San Marcos, Hays Co., TX (buried with husband). Her Father: Jno. “John” S. Miller
Her Mother: Sarah Jane Phipps (youngest dau. of William and Sarah Phipps)
1) SARAH ALBERTA PENDLETON b. June 4, 1874 Jackson, Madison Co., TN; d. 1921 San Diego, San Diego Co., CA (cremated in San Diego, CA)
+ Thomas Hinson
2) MILLER VANCE PENDLETON b. Jul 11, 1878 San Marcos, Hays Co., TX; d. San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX (buried Sunset Memorial Park, Austin Highway, San Antonio, Texas)
+ Flora P. Parsinger
3) ANNA BYRD PENDLETON b. Nov 12, 1881 San Marcos, Hays Co., TX; m. Sept. 14, 1904 Gonzales, Gonzales Co., TX; d. Mar 27, 1971 San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX (buried San Marcos Cemetery, San Marcos, Hays Co., Texas)
+ William Howell Clark (son of William Luke Clark and Margaret ìMaggieî Roberta Bissett)
4) ALICE LOUISE “LUALLEE” PENDLETON b. Dec. 29, 1884, 12 p.m. San Marcos, Hays Co., TX; m. Oct. 29, 1907 Gonzales, Gonzales Co., TX; d. Feb. 1, 1970 Harlingen, Cameron Co., TX (buried Masonic Cemetery Gonzales, Gonzales Co., TX) In an affidavit notarized in Cameron County, Texas on November 10, 1964 Luallee Pendleton Burchard (a.k.a. Mrs. Hoyte Hicks Burchard) states that she was named for two of her aunts, Louisa Susan Miller, b. Mar. 20, 1845 and Mary Alice Miller b. Sept. 26, 1848. She states that she took the liberty, as a child, to coin the name Luallee, from the names Louisa and Alice and have assumed that name as her legal name since childhood.
+ Hoyte Hicks Burchard)
5) ALBERT GALATIN PENDLETON, JR. (no information recorded) However, it was well known in the family that Uncle Albert died in a military plane crash in Dayton, Ohio. We were told that he was one of the earliest military aviators to die in the line of duty. Obviously, this could not be true if in fact he died “following the ending of the War.”
CHILDREN OF (3) ANNA BYRD PENDLETON and WILLIAM HOWELL CLARK
1) HOWELL PENDLETON CLARK (no issue) b. Gonzales, Gonzales Co., TX; d. 1964? Tucson, Arizona
2) KATHERINE LUALLEE CLARK b. Jul 18, 1905 Gonzales, Gonzales Co., TX; grad: St. Marys U. San Antonio, TX; d. Jan. 23, 1996 San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX
+ Ben Milam Blount, Sr. b. Aug. 12, 1907 Dallas, Dallas Co., TX; m. Jan. 10, 1931 Corpus Christi, Nueces Co., TX; d. May 8, 1984 San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX (buried in Clark/Pendleton family plot with Luallee in San Marcos City Cemetery, TX). Father: Benjamin Herbert Blount, Sr. Mother: Sarah Iva Milam (Descendant of John Alden and Priscilla Mullins of the Mayflower)
3) JOSEPH DUNN CLARK (no issue) b. Gonzales, Gonzales Co., TX; d. 1998 Phoenix, Arizona
CHILDREN OF (2) KATHERINE LUALLEE CLARK and BEN MILAM BLOUNT, SR.
1. BEN MILAM BLOUNT, JR. b. Sept. 21, 1931 San Antonio, Bexar Co., Texas; ms: USMC; m. Feb. 14, 1951 and Nov. 25, 1966; d. June 1, 1968 (air crash) Vidalia, Toombs Co., GA (buried Fort Sam National Cemetery San Antonio, Texas).
+ DOROTHY JEAN GOTHARD (1) (children 1 – 4); b. Mar. 9, 1934 Waelder, Gonzales Co., TX; d. 2001 (buried Waelder, Gonzales Co., TX). JACQUELINE BINKLEY (2) (no issue from this marriage)
1a. BEN MILAM BLOUNT, III b. April 7, 1951, San Antonio, TX m. 1970 1b. MICHAEL CURTIS BLOUNT b. June 10, 1953 Oceanside, San Diego Co., CA; ms: USN
1c. CYNTHIA JEAN BLOUNT b. Jan. 11, 1956 Dallas, TX; m. grad:
1d. PATRICK HERBERT BLOUNT b. Sept. 5, 1958 Dallas, TX:
2. HERBERT HOWELL BLOUNT, SR. b. Feb. 3, 1934; m. Sept. 11, 1960 San Antonio, TX and Aug. 6, 1969 Buelah, Escambia Co., FL; ms. USA
+ JUDITH ANN NEITZEL (1) (children a-c) b. Jan. 25, 1939 Milwaukee, WS. FREIDA CARLENE NORRIS (2) (child d) b. May 9, 1944.
2a. HERBERT HOWELL “Chip” BLOUNT, JR., HERBERT HOWELL ìChipî BLOUNT, JR., b. May 30, 1961 San Antonio, TX; ms. USA; grad: LeTourneau U. and Texas Wesleyan U. School of Law (J.D.)
2b. CLARK MARFIELD BLOUNT b. July 22, 1962 Houston, Harris Co., TX ms: USA
2c. CRAIG MILAM BLOUNT b. Oct. 21, 1964 Downey, Los Angeles Co., CA
2d. CATHERINE ANNA ìCathyî BLOUNT b. Feb. 11, 1971 San Antonio, TX grad: Baylor U. and Baptist Theological Seminary of Richmond (M.Div.)